History of the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad
The history of trains in the Cuyahoga Valley stretches back more than 100 years. In 1880, the Valley Railway began operations, transporting coal to Cleveland, Akron, and Canton from the Tuscarawas River Valley and providing passenger service along the way. It became another way to escape the pressures of urban industrial life, and leisure excursions were supplemented by the Guide Book for the Tourist and Traveler over the Valley Railway!Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad is a private sector, volunteer supported, not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization operating in partnership with Cuyahoga Valley National Park and dedicated to the preservation of passenger rail transportation in Cuyahoga Valley and the historic Ohio & Erie Canalway.
After a decade of operation, the Valley Railway became part of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. In the 20th century, competition from automobiles, trucks, and buses caused the decline of both freight and passenger service. Interest in the line was renewed in 1972 as a scenic excursion route and the Cuyahoga Valley Preservation and Scenic Railway Association was born. Originally known as the Cuyahoga Valley Line, the scenic railroad now operates as Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad.
Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad (CVSR) operates regular excursions and special excursions from Rockside Station in Independence to Akron Northside Station, and from Canton Lincoln Highway Station to Akron Northside Station.